Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Blast from the Past

On the Homefront:  A few weeks ago, an aunt from my side of the family found some sacred letters - letters from my deceased Great-Uncle Lorenz.  He was killed in November of 1943, during World War II.  From what we can find online (and don't you know you can find ANYTHING online, even if it happened 70 years ago???), his plane went down over Northern Canada and no one survived. 

What an amazing piece of history to find these letters.  To read the handwriting of a man beloved by his family - a man who died 36 years before I was born.  To know the end of the story as you get a glimpse into his mind before the end occurred.

I haven't read these all - I only got past the first 2 before I had to stop reading.  It hurt too much.  To read the words of my grandmother's brother - an only son who never returned.

My mom scanned these letters in to share with family.  But I think these letters can be a lesson for all - to cherish the ones you have now - before they're gone.  What a perfect sentiment for Valentine's Day.

Take a few minutes and read these yourself. 















2 comments:

  1. Such an awesome treasure. Letter writting is a lost art. I was googling 'junk' and your blog came up so I hopped over to check it out. Blessings.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that's not what Google thinks of my blog! LOL! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete