Sunday, January 8, 2012

Still Sicky

It's been a few days since I've been on here, Sorry!  Baby Girl is feeling MUCH better - I however, am not.  I missed church this morning, something I never do.  The few hours of rest without a husband and baby to take care of sure helped.  I'm feeling much better now - I hope it continues.

The Fig Leaf:  About a year and a half ago, I thought it would be a great idea to have a thrift store in Eden, Texas, where we attend church.  Our church was not able to fund it, and I dropped the idea, but not after discussing it with Kathy Keane, Eden's economic director.  She followed through with the idea, and The Fig Leaf was born.  Half the profits of The Fig Leaf go to the Eden Public Library (great timing since 99% of library funding was cut by the State).  The other half go to scholarships for students who volunteer at The Fig Leaf.  Of course, adult supervision is always necessary.  This past Saturday was my first day to volunteer to work. And what a day it was!  I had so much fun - and worked pretty hard too.  To be perfectly honest, it was wonderful to be able to leave Baby Girl in capable hands and give Mommy a much-needed break.  If you are ever in Eden on a weekend, check out The Fig Leaf! 

In the Nursery:  Baby Girl is starting to crawl!  She doesn't have her coordination down yet - and she's not very consistent - but she's doing so great!  If Ceth would let me post pictures on here, I'd let you see her progress.  She's been getting very tired of her bouncer - after about 4 months with the same toy, I'd probably be bored too.  So we bought her a Jeep walker (from Amazon, of course!).  It arrived a few days ago and Ceth put it together.  It is hilarious watching her go.  She has reverse down like a champ - forward not so much!  She kept running into the Christmas tree (yes, I still had it up!).  Her first car wreck!  Anyway, I'm hoping to get another few months out of this toy - if it can just keep her occupied so Mommy can get the dishes done, it was worth it!

On The Stove:  Well, I finally got that caramel made.  It was a bit more work than I thought - took forever for the candy to get to the correct temperature.  However, it looks GREAT!  I only made it this afternoon, so I'm letting it set overnight, like the recipe suggested.  Ceth already got into it, so it isn't as pretty as I had hoped.  Tomorrow I cut it and I may attempt to make turtles from it.  The "plan" is to cut it into squares, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and slightly melt the caramel squares in the oven. Once melted, I'll coat the caramel in pecans, then chill them in the freezer for a few minutes.  Then I'll melt some chocolate and dip them.  We'll see how it turns out.  I may get some pics for you.

On the Crafting Table:  Speaking of pictures, I donated my old Canon 35 mm to The Fig Leaf - and sold it for $25, thank you very much!  I was very excited to use it, took it out when Tori and I went strolling - took some great pics, I think, anyway.  I headed to Wal-Mart the next day to get her prescription and thought I'd drop it off at the 1-hour photo.  Except the 1-hour photo is now only for digital prints.  They have to mail off the film, wait a week, then pick it back up.  And the cost is $10 for 1 roll, single prints!  CRAZY!  So I guess I'll probably never know if those pictures turned out great or not.  Aggravation.  So I took my little Canon Elph the next night, but it just wasn't the same.  I haven't checked those pictures out yet - maybe I'll post them on here and see what you guys think.

And yes, I finally got those Christmas decorations taken down.  This afternoon, actually.  The living room looks so empty now. It's so sad.  But at least Baby Girl has room to "drive" around without running into any more trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment