Monday, January 9, 2012

Rain!

In The Field : Praise the Lord!  We received almost an inch of rain - soft, slow, steady rain - beautiful rain!  However, with temperatures not reaching much above 40 degrees today, the new baby lambs are having a tough time.  Tonight and the next few days will be a test of their endurance.  Lord, keep them warm and healthy!

On The Stove:  They're finally done!  The turtles are COMPLETE!  Since it was raining this morning, My Love stayed home and helped me get the caramel cut.  Little did I know, an 8x8 pan of caramels makes a LOT of caramel!  Over 100 pieces!  I was ill-prepared to make over 100 turtles, so we cut up some wax paper and wrapped about half of them.

I lined 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and placed the caramels about 1" or so apart.  I pre-heated the oven to 250 degrees and let the caramels melt for about 5 minutes.  I pulled the first pan (the one on the bottom shelf) out first, then sprinkled pecans on the caramels.  By the time I was done with that, I had left the other pan in WAY too long!  The caramels spread thin and melted together - the ones on the end were crusted over.  But it worked!

I then pulled each caramel off the paper and rolled it into a ball, mixed the pecans in well.  I flattened each ball, placed it back on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.  When I was finished (54 caramels later), I placed the sheet in the fridge to cool. 
After a few hours, I melted Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips in my double-boiler and dipped the caramels in the chocolate.  Note:  You can buy a fancy dipping utensil, but I bought a cheap-o fork from Wal-Mart, bent the handle to a 90 degree angle - and VOILA! - fancy dipping utensil!  I put the turtles back on the baking sheet and back in the fridge to cool.  Quite tasty - and pretty to boot!  Hope you give this a try - definitely going to do this for Christmas gifts next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment