Thursday, January 12, 2012

Knitting

On The Crafting Table:  I have always wanted to learn how to crochet or knit.  I tried it when I was younger (about 3rd grade), but I couldn't keep my stitches loose enough.  I haven't tried again.  Do you remember finger-knitting?  You wrap yarn around your fingers, making two layers, then taking the bottom layer and pulling it off your finger, over the top layer?  www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3LKAlDz9ig I used to do this all the time as a kid!  Loved it !  No tools required.  I've been playing around with it - the scarf created isn't very wide, so I made 4 of them and am now connecting them together.

Also, I found this great knitting set called a Knifty Knitter.  It is a set of 4 plastic circles with pegs which you use to create scarves, hats, etc - essentially the same concept as finger-knitting, but you can make much larger items.  It is SO easy!  I made a baby hat last night in about an hour (including time to figure out what the heck I was doing!) 



This was my first attempt, so it wasn't all that great, but hey, it worked!  I'm really excited to try something different - maybe a scarf for myself, or a larger hat to fit my baby girl - or maybe even myself! 

Designs by Deborah (downtown Brady) sells these kits, as well as the hugest selection of fun yarns.  I spent quite a bit of time there today - I love that place!  They also sell quilting fabric, which I use to make Baby Girl outfits.  I can hardly wait until summer so I can make her more fun outfits!

I will be using the Knifty Knitter at our next Melvin Extension Educators meeting (Melvin Ladies Group), of which I am President.  I'm interested to see what the ladies can create!

On The Stove:    Leftover chicken and dumplings from Christmas (no, I froze them!)  Perfect for such a cold, blustery day!

In The Nursery:  Baby Girl is crawling - well sort of anyway.  She can get anywhere she wants - including behind the recliner - which is where she is right now, as I type this, sitting in the same recliner.  It's amazing how, of all her fun toys, she wants to pull on the lamp wire and plug.  I did finally get a baby gate for her nursery door - no more finding her in the hallway... Now I just have to learn to keep everything off the floor and out of her reach!

Last night when I was giving her a bath, she grabbed the side of the tub and pulled herself to a standing position!  I was so proud! The tub has built-in bumps on the bottom to keep from slipping, but Baby Girl's balance isn't so great - and she stood for about 3 seconds before she started to fall over.  I grabbed her of course.  But that, my friends, is why you should NEVER leave a baby in a bathtub alone!   

No comments:

Post a Comment